|Description: SC Historical Marker. "The Middle Road": Originally a Native American trading path that ran from the Savannah River to Charleston. In 1770 it was established as a public road. It ran between the forks of the Edisto from the Orangeburg Bridge to the Indian Head, before continuing to the Ridge. Indian Head: A series of springs at the head of Goodland Swamp that served as a landmark and watering place for travelers along the Middle Road. In 1781 Loyalists under the command of Lt. Col. John H. Cruger passed near here after their withdrawal from Ninety Six. They were pursued by Whigs, including militia commanded by Col. Andrew Pickens.