|Silver Bluff Baptist Church|
|Location: 360 Old Jackson Hwy|
|City: Beech Island|
|Description: SC Hwy Historical Marker. This church, one of the first African-American Baptist churches in America, grew out of regular worship services held as early as the 1750s at "Silver Bluff," a plantation of Native American trader George Galphin. At first non-denominational congregation with both Caucasian and African-American members, it was formally organized as Silver Bluff Baptist Church in 1773. A large frame sanctuary built in 1873 was covered in brick veneer in 1920; it was demolished and the present brick church was built in 1948.